2jz 30-6100 PWM Idle control | AEM
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
outrider
2jz 30-6100 PWM Idle control

I am pulling my hair out here. I am working on my brothers MKIII Supra with an Aristo 2JZ-GTE swapped, I know none of this is a supported application. He's running a AEM 30-6100, on the latest firmware. Overall everything works well.

This paticular setup had the IAC removed so the giant hole could be used for plumbing something else. A bung was welded in the hole, no one figured it would be a big deal to run without an idle motor. He's changed his mind, and asked me to see what I can do. So off to the wrecking yard, I've found a Bosch style valve off a mid 90s VW. To the best of my knowledge, this is a PWM 2 wire valve. Applying 12 volts to the valve opens it 100%.

Now back to the AEM. Under the PWM idle settings I've tried to choose an idle output. I've tried PW1,2,and 3. On each of these, I've tried looking at the outputs on pins 12b,13b,and 14b. In the instructions it would indicate those are actually PW1,3,and 4. I'm also concerned that part of my problems are that these are supposed to be used for auto trans control (we are manual). According to AEMTuner my idle duty is around 40% (It's cold here in MI still), and my voltmeter reading between any of the mentioned pins and +12v is usually right around battery voltage. I have a scope, I haven't tried looking at the output yet that way. But I expect to see around 6ish volts anyways, my multimeter is pretty slow.

So I'm feeling pretty stupid, because this seems like I'm missing something super simple. Everything else I've hooked to the AEM has just worked, once I turn the output on. Why the heck I can't get the PWM output to work, well, has led me here :)

Thank you for your help!

outrider
One thing I forgot to mention

One thing I forgot to mention. If I go under 'Configure Outputs' and check the Monitor box, I can see the IDLE outputs blinking green, but nothing on the PWM outputs. PWM is red, and when selected it tells me is in use by idle control. But that was the final straw that led me to the forums. I presumed if the ECU is sending something out on that output it should be green.

outrider
And in case anyone stumbles

And in case anyone stumbles on this, I figured out what I was doing wrong.

I hadn't mentioned I was testing with key on engine off. Idle FB doesn't start until 400 rpm (or whatever you have that set to). So for testing, setting the feedback to 0 rpm minimum, and it started working :).

Guess I just needed my morning coffee.