AEM 30-3705 factory wiring fault?? | AEM
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
lordonairgallow
AEM 30-3705 factory wiring fault??

New sealed  AEM 30-3705 harness I opened last night 8/4/2020. Felt like double-checking the pinouts, started with the BATT GND, and found C1-43 not connected to the main BATT GND, other 3 pin C1-33,46,67 are fine. So I traced the C1-43 wire and it is connected to the AEMnet wire, which has 5 wires going in and 4 wires coming out which goes to the CAN connector, Then I checked the GND pin of the CAN connector and it is not connected to the C1-43 wire. The Notes says C1-43 connects directly to battery. Please help me confirm if this is an error made by the AEM harness builder. I've attached a picture of the suspected wiring error, the black wire with a blue tape marker is C1-43.

AEM_NS
Re-read the notes. It says

Re-read the notes. It says "shield ground". The shield on the AEMnet cable is drained to a ground pin on the Infinity. Not an error.

lordonairgallow
I re-read the notes it says

I re-read the notes it says c1-43 Power ground connect directly to battery. AND it also says pins 10, 43, 48 ,63 are absolute minimum required to power ecu, but you are saying c1-43 a sheild ground. Totally confused. 

AEM_NS
Did you not see the harness

Did you not see the harness pinout starting on pg 12? https://www.aemelectronics.com/sites/default/files/aem_product_instructi...

lordonairgallow
TO be honest, I am using the

TO be honest, I am using the document which came with the wire harness labelled user manual 30-3705 infinity - 6/h mini harness and I'm looking at it now and it says power ground  Notes: connect directly to battery, so now I'm assuming this is outdated. on a quick note though I can connect the shield wire for my cam and crank sensor to the c1-43 shield ground too correct?

AEM_NS
Yes, you can drain all

Yes, you can drain all shields to the same ground pin. The take away here is that there are multiple grounds for the ECU and not every single one needs to be used to connect to actual ground. By having one open and available, that effectively gives you a ground point to tap into. You wouldn't want to power any devices off this ground as it would mean sinking current through the PCB but something like a shield drain is fine.

AEM_NS
Yes, you can drain all

Yes, you can drain all shields to the same ground pin. The take away here is that there are multiple grounds for the ECU and not every single one needs to be used to connect to actual ground. By having one open and available, that effectively gives you a ground point to tap into. You wouldn't want to power any devices off this ground as it would mean sinking current through the PCB but something like a shield drain is fine.