AEM 30-4900 GAUGE reads 14.4 instead of 14.7 | AEM
10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ba114
AEM 30-4900 GAUGE reads 14.4 instead of 14.7

Hi There,

Like many others, i'm starting to realise that maybe there is a significant issue with the AEM failsafe. At idle, my Innovate LC-2 gauge displays 14.7 afr as it should. The DME trims are well in check as well.

When i switched the LC-2 out and put in the AEM 30-4900, at idle the gauge reads 14.3-14.4. No other changes were made. The same wiring was used that my LC-2 previously used and i'm using the same O2 bung.

I am not utilising the analog outputs yet.

It is important to me that the gauge reads accurately throughout the the range, not just under WOT conditions/ 11-13:1 AFR range. How can you knowingly ship products that shoutld reach stoich, but infact read richer? How can i get my gauge to display the real AFR?

ba114
I unplugged the sensor from

I unplugged the sensor from the gauge. With sensor unplugged i get AFR of 14.4. Is my gauge defective? Everything i've read says it should read 14.7 with sensor unplugged.

go43
I have sent mine in to

I have sent mine in to warranty repair twice for this problem without a fix.  Repair keeps saying that A) "it is supposed to read 14.4 at stoich" and that it B) "reads 14.4 when lambda is 1".   Neither is true.  While I realize that A) could be true (i.e. in theory it would not be totally unreasable to configure a guage this way), it is not consistent with the AFR v Lambda table in the manual.  B), on the otherhand, is just wrong.  My AEM guage reads 14.4 when the AEM interface on my laptop reads 0.98 and at a time when my stock sensor read lambda=1.  The table in the manual agrees with the 14.4/0.98 correlation.  I was so persuaded by AEM that my stock sensor was bad, I bought a new stock sensor (stock was good).  Hopefully AEM will issue a firmware update to fix this.  This appears to only be a problem with recently produced gauges.  I've seen reports of older 4900's working correctly.  On the plus side, at least the failsafe works (just set it 0.3 points low).

AEM, please issue a statement on this.

ba114
Bumping this back to the

Bumping this back to the first page. AEM are knowingly selling defective products.

I have received no support from my local supplier. When will we receive a formal communication from AEM on the issue, and a patch to address it?

go43
Bump.  AEM, is this something

Bump.  AEM, is this something you can fix with a firmware update.  Would someone at least address the problem or simply state that it is too costly to fix for this revision of hardware?

ba114
BUMP.

BUMP.

AEM, a response and fix is required. We have paid a premium for a product that is knowingly incorrect.

ba114
Bump, repsonse is required on

Bump, response is required on your defective products

ba114
So AEM will respond to other

So AEM will respond to other posts in this forum but still nothing on this?

Ive been waiting 2 years for an update to this defective product. Surely firmware can address it?

Username
so did you ever call tech

so did you ever call tech support and send it in during the warranty period?

if you didnt, or it is outside the warranty then you are SOL. 

sucks, but be realistic about it.

If it doesnt work, and you are out of warranty then get a new gauge. 

if you dont trust the failsafe gauge then buy a different manufacturers gauge. 

If I bought a ford and the transmission took a crap and the dealership replaced it, but a short time later it died again I would sell the car. get a new version, or a different make and model all together. 

in summary dont by ford. all ford vehicles suck. 

ba114
Username wrote:

Username wrote:

so did you ever call tech support and send it in during the warranty period?

if you didnt, or it is outside the warranty then you are SOL. 

sucks, but be realistic about it.

If it doesnt work, and you are out of warranty then get a new gauge. 

if you dont trust the failsafe gauge then buy a different manufacturers gauge. 

If I bought a ford and the transmission took a crap and the dealership replaced it, but a short time later it died again I would sell the car. get a new version, or a different make and model all together. 

in summary dont by ford. all ford vehicles suck. 

Im not the only person experiencing this issue. AEM have responded elsewhere explaining that it (paraphrasing here) reads inaccurately at stoich in order to be most accurate at richer AFRs. 

Living in Australia, i have no way of sending a product back to AEM without an expensive shipping fee to/from USA. They have acknowledged the issue, but refuse to do anything about it. A firmware update would surely address it, but instead of investing time in that (no firmware updates in the 3yrs ive owned one), they just continue to produce the same crappy product. Its really unprofessional business practices.