7 posts / 0 new
Last post
DraginX
E46 and Infinity 30-7108??

Hi guys,

Is there any reason that I wouldn’t be able to use my Infinity 30-7108 in my E46 ??

There are 2 variable valve controls and dbw controls also. Is there something else I should take into consideration that the 7109 does that isn’t doable with the 7108?

AEM_SB
There are a few things to

There are a few things to consider:

1. The smaller Infinty ECU connector is different, so our E46 PNP wiring adapter (AEM PN 30-3510) won't plug in and work.

2. The PNP wiring adapter is not just plugs and some wires connecting all the pins to the right places. It also includes hardware necessary to work with the OEM coils and the OEM VANOS solenoids. You would need to add coil drivers, or replace the OEM direct-fire coils with 'smart' coils that have built in ignitors. The VANOS solenoids are trickier, I don't have a great suggestion for how to work around that.

3. The 7108 models/firmware can run the S54 engine, but don't include any of the vehicle-specific CAN. The stock dashboard would be missing almost all the data it expects to receive from the ECU, and the ECU wouldn't get wheel speed data from the OEM ABS module.

Those might be acceptable tradeoffs for a very stripped-down vehicle, or an S54 engine swap into a different chassis which doesn't need to keep the E46 dash and other chassis systems working.

Hope that helps,

SB

DraginX

AEM_SB wrote:

There are a few things to consider:

1. The smaller Infinty ECU connector is different, so our E46 PNP wiring adapter (AEM PN 30-3510) won't plug in and work.

2. The PNP wiring adapter is not just plugs and some wires connecting all the pins to the right places. It also includes hardware necessary to work with the OEM coils and the OEM VANOS solenoids. You would need to add coil drivers, or replace the OEM direct-fire coils with 'smart' coils that have built in ignitors. The VANOS solenoids are trickier, I don't have a great suggestion for how to work around that.

3. The 7108 models/firmware can run the S54 engine, but don't include any of the vehicle-specific CAN. The stock dashboard would be missing almost all the data it expects to receive from the ECU, and the ECU wouldn't get wheel speed data from the OEM ABS module.

Those might be acceptable tradeoffs for a very stripped-down vehicle, or an S54 engine swap into a different chassis which doesn't need to keep the E46 dash and other chassis systems working.

Hope that helps,

SB

Thanks for the quick reply SB.

You say the Vanos solenoids are trickier, but with the S54 map and the option to control two variable valve timing outputs wouldn’t I just be able to use the Vanos control from the S54 map?

My engine is a M54 series engine but the vanos configuration is somewhat similar.

I have an idea for coils, just have to check the figment.

As for the dash, I’m not that concerned about it. Worse case I’d love to put one of the new CD-7 displays in place.

AEM_SB
I may have my BMW terminology

I may have my BMW terminology mixed up, but the E36 M3 engine (S50B32, with cable throttle from the factory) uses a different trigger pattern for the cam signals than the E46 M3 engine (S54, with drive-by-wire and ITB from the factory), and the Infinity won't work with it. I've helped someone who tried to make it work, both engines have the same number of teeth on the cam triggers but the tooth locations are different enough that it won't work; the signals from the older engine were not close enough to the new engine or any other patterns already supported by the Infinity ECU. That person machined some replacement cam trigger discs to make the cam signals match the E46 M3. I may be able to get you in touch with him, if you are interested in paying for him to build new cam trigger discs for your project.

The VANOS solenoids on the E46 need a pulsed 12V duty cycle signal which is backwards from most other variable cam solenoids. None of our ECUs send a pulsed 12V duty cycle, so we added some hardware in the E46 wiring adapter to handle that.

Hope that helps,

SB

DraginX

AEM_SB wrote:

I may have my BMW terminology mixed up, but the E36 M3 engine (M54, with cable throttle from the factory) uses a different trigger pattern for the cam signals than the E46 M3 engine (S54, with drive-by-wire and ITB from the factory), and the Infinity won't work with it. I've helped someone who tried to make it work, both engines have the same number of teeth on the cam triggers but the tooth locations are different enough that it won't work; the signals from the older engine were not close enough to the new engine or any other patterns already supported by the Infinity ECU. That person machined some replacement cam trigger discs to make the cam signals match the E46 M3. I may be able to get you in touch with him, if you are interested in paying for him to build new cam trigger discs for your project.

The VANOS solenoids on the E46 need a pulsed 12V duty cycle signal which is backwards from most other variable cam solenoids. None of our ECUs send a pulsed 12V duty cycle, so we added some hardware in the E46 wiring adapter to handle that.

Hope that helps,

SB

The M54 is an E46 non M engine so I’ll look into the tooth pattern and setup for the cam pickup and see what I can find out about it.

Would it be possible to purchase the hardware and wire it in myself for the Vanos solenoids? 

AEM_SB
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for clearing that up. I found some old emails and edited my post, the engine in the E36 European M3 was the S50B32. I don't know anything about the E46 non-M engine, I'm not sure anyone else has asked us about that one. The VANOS support circuitry is built into the E46 adapter, it can't be separated. What you're describing is starting to sound like a bit of a science project. I would advise getting in touch with a shop who is more familiar with BMWs; tell them your goals and your budget and see what path they recommend.

Davide46
go look https://rrrshop.co.uk

go look https://rrrshop.co.uk/vanos-adaptor-module-dual-vanos-435-p.asp  , that what you need to control dual vanos .