IS300 Sharing cam/crank sensors | AEM
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mitsuguy
IS300 Sharing cam/crank sensors

I am switching from AEM V2 (a non plug n play 30-6101 unit) to AEM Infinity 6. The Engine is a 2jz-ge VVTI, which shares the same cam and crank settings as the 2jz-GTE VVTI.  

In order to maintain some functionality in the car, we (lots of IS300 drivers) have been piggybacking the AEM EMS with the factory computer, sharing the cam and crank sensor data.  This has been very effective.  

The question is how it should be wired to the AEM Infinity.  From the factory ECU, there is a single pin that splits to both sensors.  On the factory wiring diagrams, that pin is labeled NE-  Each sensor has its signal back to the factory ECU labeled NE for crank and G2 for cam.  With the AEM V2 in place, those two wires NE and G2 were tapped and ran to the AEM.  

To mimic this with the Infinity, can I assume that the same two tapped wires (NE and G2) should go to c1-17 for crank (NE) and c1-20 for cam (G2)?

Also, a quick related question about the noise filtering in the Infinity.  With the AEM V2, we pulled the noise suppression (resistors r2 and r4) because the factory ECU already had built in resistors and the additive resistance made for an unstable signal.  With the Infinity, noise suppression appears to be 100% software based and the default setting is a 10 for cam and crank.  Any recommendation on where to start?  I had planned on 10 and see what happens, but I feel like it should be less, zero perhaps even.

Thanks for the help.

AEM_NS
The Infinity uses a

The Infinity uses a differential input for all the VR inputs meaning that the EMS needs to reference both the sensor plus and minus wires.  This would mean tapping the sensor minus wire and sending it to C1-18 and C1-19.  The sensor pluses would go where you described.  The Infinity doesn't use pull down resistors on the VR inputs so you should be good there.  The NC values will need "tuning" and they usually need to be increased, not decreased.  The VR PWM Duty table is what the Infinity uses as the VR trigger threshold voltages.  These values may also need adjusting (increase) as well.  It might be a little easier to cross this bridge once the system has been wired in and the engine's actually running.  

mitsuguy
Thanks for the advice.  I

Thanks for the advice.  I will get the other pair of wires pinned and ran and see how it goes from there!

mitsuguy
Boom!  Starts and runs!

Boom!  Starts and runs!  Thanks for the help!

midasp
what values did you have to

what values did you have to go with for crank, cam and vr pwr duty?