Problem with driver coil 30-2841. | AEM
14 posts / 0 new
Last post
jesooos
Problem with driver coil 30-2841.

Hi, I have a problem with driver coil 30-2841.

I made the connection as described in the instructions but the spark is weak and has no strength to ignite the engine.

I connected the oscilloscope to check the driver coil output signal and gives me no good signal, noisy and strange.

The connector number 2 i've tried to connect it to ground and ground sensors power but the signal does not change.

The dumb coil is in perfect condition because the original installation works fine.

I've checked the wiring and is well connected.

The input signal by the AEM EMS-4 its fine and it works well with the smart coil 30-2853 but i need to install the dumb coil with driver.

Below I put the images of the connection, signal and "dumb coil" I'm using.

Signal screenshot:

Dumb coil:

Wire connection:

Best regards.

AEM_NS
Can you post a link to the

Can you post a link to the full size image of your scope trace?  It's pretty hard to see what's going on.

jesooos
Sorry, this is the URL:
AEM_NS
How exactly are you

How exactly are you connecting your scope probe?  How are you getting the EMS to output an ignition trigger signal?  Are you cranking the engine?

jesooos
The scope is connected

The scope is connected between the negative pin coil and ground.
the EMS to output an ignition trigger signal is fine, I have checked with the scope and correct and if I connect an 30-2853 - High Output Inductive Smart Coil, works fine.
The Dweel time is configured with the specifications of "dumb coil".
The engine is crancking about 300 rpm.
The driver reaches high temperatures and produces a strange noise in the "dumb coil"

The dumb coil its fine because it works whith the original ECU.

AEM_NS
What else do you have

What else do you have connected to the ignitor ground?  Do you have a wideband O2 gauge or controller grounded to the same spot?  It seems that there is some kind of noise that is making the ignitor very unhappy and it's partially sinking to ground very rapidly which is probably making the sound in the coil.  Do the ignitor and coil act this way even when you're not cranking?  Or does it only do it when the EMS is outputting an ignition trigger?  You may have to try a second ignitor.

jesooos
I mounted a new "coil driver"

I mounted a new "coil driver" replaceable and motor works fine.
In the AEM "coil driver" I think the internal ground signal is shorted to the mass of power and this resulted noise in the driver transistor.
Thank you for your attention.
Best regards.

jesooos
Hello, I will use again a new

Hello, I will use again a new driver coil 30-2841 and I would like not to damage as above.
My guess is that the rest of driver coils use two different ground, sensor groud and battery ground.
On the instructions of AEM driver coil 30-2841 only two same battery ground appear.
Will this model does not use sensor ground?

AEM_NS
Sensor ground is not

Sensor ground is not referenced in any of our external ignitors.

jesooos

I thought that the coil 0-5V output signal of the AEM EMS-4 was referenced to sensor ground but I was wrong.

Best reagrds.

jesooos
Hi, I remounted the new coil

Hi, I remounted the new coil driver 30-2841 and continued still too weak spark and the engine is not able to start.
I've expanded the section of wiring but I see no difference in the power of the spark.
I think this model of coil driver can not handle the intensity that needs this COP that I have already tested Bosch and this one is able to obtain high spark.
Maybe should have purchased 4 channels coil driver as these are used in the Honda CBR with the same COP.

Habiais sufrido anteriormente el mismo problema con single channel  coil driver?

Best regards.

AEM_NS
What coil are you using?

What coil are you using?  What is its primary resistance?  If very low, it's probably a CDI coil that should be used with a CDI amplifier.  How long are you dwelling the coil for?  I would not expect to see any difference in operation between the single channel ignitor and the four channel ignitor.

jesooos
Thanks for your attention.

Thanks for your attention.

Im using 2-pin Denso Coil On Plug Model: J0385.   129700-3850.

Im using same dwell that i had read before with the scopemeter in the original ecu, 2,86 ms.

I didnt read primary resistance but i remember it was very low i think about 1 ohm.

Where i can buy an CDI amplifier? AEM made it?.

Best regards.

AEM_NS
We discontinued our multi

We discontinued our multi-channel CDI although you might still find a new-old-stock unit sitting around somewhere.  If you're working with a single channel ignitor then I'd assume you don't need a multi-channel CDI.  It seems there are many single channel CDI units available by doing a quick look on Google.  Especially for motorcycle and such.