S2000 won't start with Infinity | AEM
19 posts / 0 new
Last post
treimche
S2000 won't start with Infinity

Trying to keep this short here.  2005 S2000 ran great on the AEM Infinity.  I just swapped in a built short block, reconnected everything as it was, but now the car will not start.  I'm getting no fuel from the injectors, and no spark either.  I have verified all my timing marks are lined up, fuel is getting to the rail, etc.

The Infinity Tuner is showing me spark probability of 100%, injector probability of 100%, but a start probability of 0% and the sync state is always 0.  I have tried changing to a different calibration file with the same problem.  Can anyone help?  I'm at a loss here and ready to throw in the towel.

treimche
Just finished checking

Just finished checking resistance and continuity to ground per the Honda factory service manual.  Both cam sensors and the crank sensor are all within spec.

AEM_NS
Log?

Log?

treimche
I will figure out how to log

I will figure out how to log this and post it here.  Actually just read the sticky thread about troubleshooting AEM Infinity issues, and have to apologize that I hadn't read it sooner.  It makes a heck of a lot of sense to post an actual data log of what is going on so that you AEM techs can help out.  Hopefully I can get this done in the morning. 

treimche
In the mean time I would like

In the mean time I would like to note that checked the timing marks again today and realized that the crankshaft was off by 1 tooth, so I corrected that and buttoned everything up again.  All grounds are in place.  The same thing is still happening, just cranking but not starting.  Pulled the spark plugs and all 4 are completely dry.  As soon as I can get a log of this I'll share. 

treimche
I was able to check and see

I was able to check and see that all 4 ignition coils are indeed producing spark, although I am not sure how strong it is compared to what it should be.  I logged what was happening while cranking, so here it is.  Bear with me as I'm learning this Infinity stuff as I go. crankingnostart1.itlog

AEM_NS
You should also include the

You should also include the session file (.itssn) as well.

AEM_NS
Looked at your log. There's

Looked at your log. There's no cam duration so there's no cam signal getting to the ECU.

treimche
I think this is what you're

I think this is what you're after.  As far as the cam signals are concerned, I have tested and verified both cam sensors and crank sensor are all good via the Honda factory service manual.  I'll double check the wiring again though. crankingnostart1.itssn

treimche
I just went in and connected

I just went in and connected my multi meter to each pair of cam sensor wires right at the ECU connectors and I'm seeing pulses there when cranking the engine over.

AEM_NS
Give this a read https://www
treimche
Thanks a ton!  Changing VR

Thanks a ton!  Changing VR PWM Duty from 60 down to 10 made the car start up.  Can you tell me what that did and why it has to be like that?  I'm just really curious.

*Edited out the oil pressure sensor problem, fixed a broken wire. 

AEM_NS
Re-read that thread I linked

Re-read that thread I linked you to. What does adjusting the VR PWM Duty table do? The answer to what it does is in that thread so that should then explain why you had to change it.

What's oil pressure read in Infinity Tuner? A lot of times the default pressure sensor failsafe value is 12 psi so it sounds like you're in failsafe mode so that means something is up with your oil pressure input. You get the failsafe if the voltage input is out of range.

treimche

I'll do some more research so I can understand what that setting is/does.  Like I said before, I'm new to this stuff and trying to learn as much as I can while I go.  I don't even want to learn how to tune, I just want to be able to get the car running like it was before, so it can be broken in and tuned. 

The car is still very hard to start.  It takes a lot of cranking and doesn't like to start.  Once the sync state switches from 0 to 1 it starts up nicely, but getting it there is very difficult.  I've tried reducing the VR PWM Duty to 7 and that didn't help.  Do I just keep going lower until it will start every time? 

treimche
Here's another log from just

Here's another log from just a little bit ago.  Cranks and cranks but never fires.

crankinghardstart1.itlog

crankinghardstart1.itssn

treimche
As of now, setting VR PWM

As of now, setting VR PWM Duty to 20 seems to be a good spot for this car. 

AEM_NS
Good. Going all the way down

Good. Going all the way down to 10 may have been too low. After reading that other thread you should know that the VR PWM Duty table sets the VR trigger amplitude threshold. The received VR signal must have an amplitude greater than the threshold to be counted as a tooth. The point of the threshold is to reject low amplitude noise and only accept the stronger, higher amplitude AC sine wave signal. If you had to turn down the trigger threshold to get the cam signal to read, it means the cam signal strength during cranking is a little weaker. If you turn the trigger threshold down too far, you'll start picking up unwanted stuff which will make the ECU unhappy as it's expecting a very specific signal pattern.

treimche
I'm starting to understand

I'm starting to understand better now.  Is there a chance that by replacing the alternator with a non OEM unit could cause this problem?  Or swapping from OEM to aftermarket cam shafts?  

AEM_NS
Alternator - not likely.

Alternator - not likely.

Aftermarket camshafts - more likely.