10 posts / 0 new
Last post
codewhore
Troubleshooting 2001 Audi TT Using Infinity 6

Hi everyone,

I don't want to post a novel and lose everyone's attention so I will try to be brief. My brother and I are building a 2001 Audi TT that had the 225 1.8T engine. We broke the engine and in it's place is a 2.0 block built by Integrated Engineering, a stock 06A head that has been reworked slightly by a local shop (stock cames but new valves, guides, springs, etc and some porting), stock turbo and running the AEM Infinity 6 ECM. We have loaded the base map for a 1.8T suggested to us by our AEM dealer.

We have made very few changes but want to figure something out that I think is the biggest issue with getting the car to even start up and idle. Here is a video of what is happening.

https://youtu.be/mqmGC2zVAkc

When the car is in the on position (not running) and connected to the AEM software, the Lambda1 guage fluctuates rapidly from about 0.9 to 1.3 which I understand is close to the full range. My understanding is this should be pegged reading full lean. I have ssen some videos of people testing their WB02 sensor by pulling it out and using some brake cleaner to force a full rich situation. I do not have direct access to the car (it's at my brother's place) so I can't play with the gauges without the ECM being hooked up...is there an AFR guage that will better show what the WB02 sensor is doing? Is there a way to confirm that we have the sensor wired properly? We did have a hell of a time getting the pins into the harness so that is a possible issue, as is a defective WB02 sensor.

Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shawn

AEM_NS
When in doubt, read the

How did you wire in the sensor?  Directly to the Infinity or through the car's harness?  You should be aware that in normal usage on an AWP car, the O2 sensor isn't powered on at key on, engine off.  This is mentioned in the instructions.

codewhore
Thanks for posting that. With

Thanks for posting that. With so many things to look at and advice from others it is hard to see the forrest for the trees.

codewhore
I posted without answering

I posted without answering your question, we wired the sensor into the harness. With the sensor not being powered until the engine is running. Does it make sense that the reading would fluctuate as it does or should it remain in some sort of constant value? Perhaps I need to disconnect the sensor to see if the result changes at all?

AEM_NS
Having the sensor unpowered

Having the sensor unpowered is similar to having it disconnected and when disconnected, Lambda should read 1 and not fluctuate.

codewhore
I have disconnected the WB02

I have disconnected the WB02 sensor, and the fluctuations still continue. There is a small difference. With the sensor disconnected is stays more around the 0.94 range but goes up to ~1.3. With the sensor connected it is closer to 1 but still fluctuates up and down the same range. Any suggestion on what could be wrong? Is it possible the ECM unit is defective?

AEM_NS
Defective, no. Damaged or

Defective, no. Damaged or wired incorrectly, yes. I'd remove all the UEGO pins from the Infinity and see if bouncy signal persists. If it does, that's bad. If it doesn't, well that's better and just means you wired it wrong.

codewhore
Okay we will do that as one

Okay we will remove the extra wires we inserted into the harness as part of the WB02 conversion as one of the next steps and report back.

codewhore
Thanks AEM_NS for the

Thanks AEM_NS for the recommendation. We disconnected the PnP harness from the Audi harness to check the connections and initially things checked out fine using a multimeter on the Audi harness. We pulled the PnP out of the car to check it for continuity and had a magnifying glass out to verify pin positions, we could see that one of the pins was displaced slightly, it wasn't bent but rather it was pushed down and therefore not making a solid connection with the Audi connector. We removed and replaced the associated connector on the Audi harness, pulled the PnP pin back into position and reconnected everything. Lambda is now quite stable. Got the car started, idle is way too high so we are tracking down a possible vaccum leak as the next step. Also should mention that even with idle being very high, it runs smooth and no popping noises like we previously had.

On final inspection the connector on the Audi side (the one that we replaced) was damaged and preventing the PnP pin from inserting and seating the harness forced the PnP pin down.

AEM_NS
Glad to hear that you got it

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.  yes